The Noriega Hotel was founded by Faustino Noriega and Fernando Etcheverry in 1893 and taken over in 1931 by Juan and Gracianna Elizalde. It has been operated by the Elizalde family ever since. Originally a hotel, it eventually became a men's boardinghouse. In 1940 the success of the restaurant necessitated the addition of the present bar and dining room. It is now recognized as the oldest, and last, Basque boardinghouse/restaurant in the world. The Noriega Hotel continues to be the hub of the Kern County Basque community and is proud to serve exceptional Basque "family style" meals to the public.